Although I most often go grocery shopping with someone else (in a car) on Saturdays (and sometimes once during the week), if I want or need to go out during the business week whatever other "schedule" (even if generally flexible) I have, or want to have, for things I need to do from home/at home often has to revolve around trying to guess when the outdoor circumstances will be best for devoting, say, two to five hours to whatever errand (or even just enjoyment of outside air) I want/need to do.
While temperature, or even reasonable rain or wind, aren't always the biggest factors, anything that involves extreme puddles and/or potentially slippery (icy) walking surfaces are big factors. When the bugs and/or local wildlife are more likely to be out and around is kind of a factor too. So is extreme heat. While I'll never go out before dawn (truly, nobody driving would expect to see a woman walking on a couple of the streets involved), I can't let non-daylight on the evening end of things be a factor (and sometimes I don't even want the fact that it's dark out be a factor).
It's easier, of course, with daylight savings time and/or at the height of longest-daylight hours. Even so, it's always a matter of trying to balance going out once it's dawn with things like overnight low temperatures, morning temperatures, daytime temperature high's, etc. etc.
Living where I live (well known for a big mix of weather, often unseasonable weather, within short time periods), it's a rare day that I would head out for a couple/few hours' worth of long walk without an umbrella, for example. (I have lightweight umbrellas, heavier weight umbrellas, some that are more likely to hold up under wind (those are the heavier ones), and back-up ones to bring in case of high winds AND downpours at the same time and in case the "main" ones goes inside out or breaks.
Umbrellas are the least of what I have to keep with me, and I'll post on that stuff later.
The point is that while I doesn't matter so much now that I'm not spending nineteen hours a day working online, finding more work online, managing casual writing that turned into "semi-work" online, and doing whatever else there is to do related to the computer and business of one kind or another (sometimes personal business, sometimes not); so much of what I do and whether/when I stay in or not revolves around first trying to guess about/gamble on the outdoor conditions, how long they'll last, whether they'll better tomorrow (or later in the day) (or not), etc. etc.
It's not as if we have nothing but horrible weather. We have all kinds of different types of nice days. It's just that there's "nice day from inside the house or a car" and "nice day for being out walking for a couple/few hours in". There can also, however, be one set of outdoor conditions for x number of hours while completely different ones may/may not set in within a very short time.
In my own situation, it's more the sometimes narrow window of opportunity for the best conditions and the uncertainty of weather factors. I can work with and/or adjust to most weather situations that aren't ridiculously extreme, but only so much planning ahead is possible much of the time.
Then again, planning aside, there are times when conditions are such that I want to take advantage of being able to get out and enjoy them while they're as they are (often because I know that they'll dramatically change within a very short time, and sometimes for a few days).
This blog is one of a group of blogs that I've set up as what I've called, "notebooks". The style I'm using to present posts/thoughts/issues is just that - notebook style, which means no frills, little formality, and a very narrow focus on a very narrow subject.
When I say, "no frills...little formality" I don't mean "as in only-care-if-I-can-read-the-notes". What I mean by that is that posts are "raw material" that I may/may not incorporate into more polished material somewhere else. My aim in creating a blog/"notebook" for each very narrow subject, however, is to present material/thoughts on each subject all in one place so that anyone who comes across one of the blogs will find a number of things (sometimes very specific, sometimes broader, sometimes more in-depth, sometimes just a quick thought) related to the very narrow subject. For the larger context within which any of the "isolated" subjects may relate to any of the others, I'll provide appropriate links to other "notebooks".
When I say, "no frills...little formality" I don't mean "as in only-care-if-I-can-read-the-notes". What I mean by that is that posts are "raw material" that I may/may not incorporate into more polished material somewhere else. My aim in creating a blog/"notebook" for each very narrow subject, however, is to present material/thoughts on each subject all in one place so that anyone who comes across one of the blogs will find a number of things (sometimes very specific, sometimes broader, sometimes more in-depth, sometimes just a quick thought) related to the very narrow subject. For the larger context within which any of the "isolated" subjects may relate to any of the others, I'll provide appropriate links to other "notebooks".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment